THE BROWN FOUNDATION, INC.
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
GENERAL APPLICATION INFORMATION
- Proposals should be submitted a minimum of 4 months before funds are required.
- Please do not send video or audio tapes. No binders or notebooks, please.
- The Foundation will acknowledge receipt of your proposal and will request additional information if necessary.
- The Foundation provides notice immediately upon final disposition but does not provide status reports during the review process. Please do not request interim updates.
- Grants are not made to individuals.
- Grant requests will be considered only from tax exempt organizations described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (the "Code") and further classified as a public charity within the meaning of Section 509(a) of the Code, or governmental units described in Section 170 of the Code.
- The Trustees will consider only one application from an organization within a twelve month period.
- No proposal from an organization previously funded by the Foundation will be considered unless a full and timely report of expenditure of the previous grant has been submitted.
The Foundation does not expect to support:
- Grants to religious organizations for religious purposes.
- Testimonial dinners, fundraising events or marketing events.
- Grants intended directly or indirectly to support candidates for political office or to influence legislation.
- Grants to other private foundations.
- Grants to cover past operating deficits or debt retirements.
GRANT PROPOSAL GUIDELINES
The following information must be included in grant proposals to be submitted for consideration. No proposal will be reviewed until a complete packet has been received.
I. PROPOSAL SUMMARY
Please complete the Proposal Summary Form, being sure to address all questions.
II. SUPPORT INFORMATION TO BE ENCLOSED
III. Applications should be signed by both the chief administrator/executive officer and by the Board president or chair, if applicable.
- List of Board/Officers/Advisory Board (names only), the percentage of directors who have contributed to the endeavor and the total combined amount of their contributions. Please limit to one page.
- Financial Support Information (See question 8 of Proposal Summary)
(1) Current organizational operating budget
(2) Budget for specific program to be funded
(3) List of sources of support/amounts already committed to project
(4) List of sources of support/amounts requested/pending for project
- Most recent audited financial statement.
- Financial statement of income and expenses from time of last audit to present.
- Most recent copy of the applicant's status as an exempt organization for federal income tax purposes [e.g. 501(c)(3) letter].
- Additional documentation pertinent to request
If the Foundation requests additional information, failure to submit such within 30 days will result in removal of the proposal from the review process.
NOT ALL PROJECTS CAN BE FUNDED
For additional information or guidance in preparing application, please contact the Grants Department at (713) 523-6867 or e-mail: email@example.com
The Board of Trustees has responsibility for the final approval of each grant. Since the Foundation receives funding requests far in excess of its ability to fund, only a small portion of requests can be approved. A decision not to fund a proposal does not reflect on the merits of the applicant or the value of the proposal.
NO COMMEMORATIVE ITEMS, PLEASE!
The Foundation desires that all resources of any Grantee be dedicated to accomplishing its philanthropic purposes. Accordingly, Grantees agree not to recognize the Foundation, its board members or staff with any commemorative items.<